The Rules of Golf
There are 25 Official Rules in the game of golf. Condensed here is the purpose of Rule #1 – and it really says it all:
- Play the course as you find it and play the ball as it lies
- Play by the Rules and in the spirit of the game
- You are responsible for applying your own penalties if you breach a Rule
We encourage all members to be familiar with the Rules of Golf and to apply them to the best of their abilities. Learning the rules can be challenging, especially for beginners. Even seasoned golfers don’t have all the rules at their fingertips.
Fortunately, accessing the Rules is easy.
- The Rule Book can be purchased through Golf Canada or our Pro Shop
- The Rules of Golf can be accessed online on the Golf Canada website
- The mobile APP is available from the APP STORE or GOOGLE PLAY
In addition, the Level 1 Rules Of Golf is offered as an online course through the R&A Rules Academy. This program is free and is a fun and easy way to learn the basics of the Rules of Golf and focuses on commonly encountered situation on the course.
Click to access the R&A Rules Academy.
Changes to the Rules of Golf
The Rules of Golf are updated every few years and a new update was rolled out for 2023, replacing the 2019 rules. The next update is not expected until 2027.
- Click to access the 5 Key Changes for 2023
- Click to access the Comparison Chart for changes from 2019 to 2023.
Local Rules: The Rules of Golf govern all play, except as modified by Local Rules.
Click to review all Local Rules currently in effect at our Club.
Of course, the Rules and Handicap Committee is also here to help. If you have a rules question, please ask us and we will be pleased to answer. Click to contact us now.